Chicken Soup with Pesto
Perfect for a Rainy Day
Nutritional Information - 1 Serving
| 443|| 35.5g|| 18.5g||30.9g|
- Heat a large non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add garlic and chicken and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add zucchini, passata and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add beans and macaroni and cook for a further 10 minutes until pasta is cooked (you may need to add a little more liquid), season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide soup between bowls, add pesto, scatter over parmesan cheese and season to taste
Ingredients – 2 servings
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 200g chicken thighs-skinless diced
- 1 zucchini (medium) diced
- 1⁄2 cup (125g) tomato passata
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 100g green beans trimmed & cut into 2cm lengths
- 70g macaroni or small elbow pasta (or gluten free)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbs (20g) basil pesto
- 1 tsp parmesan grated
It’s Smoothie Time!
Blueberry smoothie with coconut milk calories: about 250 kcals per serving.
With the weather warming up, now is a great time to start having smoothies. They can provide a nutritious in between meal snack, or even serve as a quick meal replacement idea on those hot, busy summer days.
Smoothies are full of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Balancing the smoothie with low sugar foods like berries, apples, and peaches as well as adding protein and healthy fats will turn it into a filling and nutritious drink.
Here are some ideas to make your smoothies healthier and boost nutritional content:
- Use water, milk, or milk alternatives instead of juice.
- Skip the added sugar, including sugar alternatives like honey and agave syrup.
- Choose low sugar foods like berries, apples, peaches, grapefruit instead of high-carb ones like grapes, mangoes, and figs.
- To boost protein, add nuts, seeds, peanut or almond butter, protein powder, sprouts or oats.
- To boost vitamin and mineral content add fresh or frozen spinach and/or kale
- Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, raw cocoa and vanilla extract are great for adding a bit of extra flavour.
This blueberry smoothie without yogurt is a great option if you can’t or don’t want to have dairy in your diet. It substitutes yogurt for coconut milk, which gives the smoothie a floral, nutty flavour!
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 to 1 frozen banana for thickness
Place in a blender until combined and smooth. Poor into a glass and enjoy!
- Don’t like the flavour of coconut? Use soy, cashew, or almond milk to make a dairy-like blueberry smoothie.
- Add other fruits like frozen peaches or pineapple for a more exotic and tropical blend. Mix with water to lower the sugar content.
Sugar Free Strawberries & Cream Cheesecake
- 200g packet granita biscuits
- 100g butter, melted
- 250g strawberries, hulled, quartered
- 500g cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® Granular
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 300mls thickened cream
- Fresh strawberries, to serve
Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round springform pan. Place biscuits in food processor. Process biscuits until finely chopped. Add butter. Process until combined. Press mixture evenly over base of prepared pan. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, place strawberries and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small saucepan over low heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes or until strawberries have softened and most of the liquid has been evaporated. Set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and SPLENDA® until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions. Gradually add vanilla and cream, beating until combined. Gently swirl (marble) strawberry mixture into cheesecake mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Place pan on a baking tray.
Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until just set (cheesecake will wobble slightly in centre). Turn off oven. Cool cheesecake in oven for 3 hours with door ajar. Refrigerate overnight. Serve with berries.